Monday 10 May 2010

Hats Off To Mothers Who Work Outside Of The Home

I had the good fortune to have an opportunity to get paid to do something I enjoy( outside of the home) for a few days. It was nice. Nice to earn a few extra dollars. Nice to feel like I'm contributing to society. Nice to be out of the house. By the time evening rolled around, I wasn't nearly as mentally or physically exhausted as I normally am. When I came home at the end of each day, I had infinitely more patience for wM than a typical day. For the first couple of days, it was lovely.

By the end of the third consecutive day, however, the 3 hour (1.5h each way) commute on public transit was starting to wear me down. Spending my lunch hour among people who shared very few common interests made me feel a little sad.

My heart, and my body apparently, belong in the home. Looking after wM. And even though the hours are long and the pay is lousy it's the best job in the world for me right now.

Hats off to all you moms out there who don't have the choice and are working outside of the home. I don't know how you manage to cram all the family stuff in, during the precious little time you have at the end of your work day. (Not to mention the running of the household, groceries, laundry and appointments.) Be sure to give yourself a well deserved pat on the back.

No comments: